The Curious Fork - A GF San Diego Eatery and more

Every so often I find a new product or cafe/bakery.  It is nice when a new place pops up in San Diego.  I was happy to recently find The Curious Fork.  It is located in Solana Beach, directly across the street from the Del Mar Racetrack on Villa de la Valle.

When you first visit their website you will see the various cooking products they sell and you will find their information on catering but it is not until you visit them do you get an appreciation for their menu. They have a great cafe that is open from 7:30 am until 2:30 pm Monday thru Saturday.


I don't know where I first read about them, but the entire place is Gluten Free.  One of the owners, Chef Barbara, has celiac and their goal was to produce delicious food that just so happens to be gluten free.  I can attest to the fact that the food is delicious and safe.  I have been in two to three times each week since my first visit.


As far as breakfast goes they have wraps and bowls which I have not tried yet.  They offer sandwiches on house-made gluten free english muffins.  I have tried many GF english muffins and these are by far the best I have ever had.  I had mine with egg, cheese and bacon.  My wife had the egg, cheese, tomato and avocado.


For those sweet tooth gluttons, they offer GF brownies with lots of chocolate chips inside (which my kids love), a flour less chocolate torte with a bit of espresso, a green tea - ginger cake and these almond cookies that we really enjoy.

For lunch they have even more items to choose from.  Soup made daily - I have not tried this yet.  A few salads that look delicious - caeser, kale, and a garden salad.  They do look amazing but I have not yet ordered one.

What have I ordered?  I have been running down their list of sandwiches, and they are all delicious. Marco makes a mean pickle served with each sandwich that you will love.  I first had the "Curious Pork" served on their in house made GF baguette.  This was out of this world.  The pork was in this asian/thai style spicy sauce with cucumbers, jalapeños and cucumbers.  I had this a second time but for "research" purposes I had to try more.


Their other sandwiches have been just as good.  A tuna salad with dijon dressing, bacon and avocado on a delicious sandwich bread.  I was told they had sampled every GF sandwich bread out there and this was the best.  I strongly agree.  It is delivered from Cate and co. located in Napa.  I will have to order some items or visit them soon.

What else?

A marinated chicken sandwich with roasted peppers and onions with a pesto sauce - awesome. Another is their avocado club with turkey - delicious.  Most recently the "El Jefe" Cuban with pork, ham, swiss - yum.

Tacos.  Can't forget the tacos.  They make a carne asada taco on a soft corn tortilla.  Their carnitas is delicious too.  My wife's favorite is the shrimp taco.  Order one of each, they are all delicious.


They also serve up some delicious coffee.  They are the first to carry Blue Bottle Coffee in San Diego.  I always order a cup - it goes great with their pastries.

In addition to the cafe they have cooking classes and pop-up dinners.

We went to their first ever pop-up dinner.  We dragged our kids along to have them try some new foods and flavors.  Chef Daryl Biggs put together a 5 course tasting and you had the option of a wine pairing. The wine pairing was put together with the   It started with a smoked yellowtail crudo seasoned with salt and a yellow pepper.  This was a delicious plate and visually appealing.


The main entree was a duck tamale with roasted corn.  The kids loved the roasted corn.  I truly enjoyed the savory tamale and the duck was super moist.


The dessert was the highlight for the two little ones.  On the plate was an almond cookie, a banana pot de creme and a Mexican style hot chocolate with a touch of cinnamon.  Each part of the plate was delicious.

It has been a while since I have been this excited about a new restaurant.  I am glad that San Diego has another 100% gluten free eatery.  Their food is simply delicious and everyone will enjoy the menu.  For those with celiac or other gluten sensitivities The Curious Fork really offers a great, safe environment to enjoy breakfast and lunch.

Check them out,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park